Sunrise in December

by Apollo

They say it’s always the darkest before dawn. I’ve been awake early too many times to know that it is true. Sleep is still calling me, but I sit on my patio and taste the waking dawn on my lips. The birds and the neighbours’ dogs can taste it too. Their voices can be heard from a million miles away.

There’s a blue tinge in the sky and the smell of a thousand flowers caress my nose. Sunflowers, daisies, tulips…all bright like the sun. A small, red and black bird atop my giant tree sings me a song. He stops. Then asks, “What song would you like today?” His was head moving from side to side.
“Something welcoming,” I whispered back, too afraid that my voice may scare the sun away. The dew drops on the grass are under cold under my touch. Yet, I still slip off my slippers and walk slowly across the garden. It’s as if they are diamonds, left by a bandit whose pockets had holes in them now they are scattered all over my grass. A worm makes its way past my bare foot as if to get away from something or someone. A bullet of black comes into my vision and the worm is picked up by a myna. I shoo it away but it just screeches at me. I run back to the safety of my chair, too afraid to find out if mynas also like human flesh.

There’s a taste of anticipation in the air as if the world is waiting. There’s a bright glow on the horizon. Inch by inch I can see it, hear it, taste it, smell it, feel it coming. One more moment…and in that moment the entire world held its breath.