Music That Inspires

by Apollo

It is a little known fact that I always have to be listening to music. Whether I'm reading, writing or studying, I'll always have my earphones stuck in my ears. Most of the music I listen to is music from soundtracks or classical music as it helps me think. But there are certain songs, songs that, when my iPod is put on shuffle, that just hit the right chord at the right moment.

My final exams took up just under two months of my life. And the thing that got me through most of the strenuous work was the music that played in the background while I worked. Not only did the music help me concentrate, but I remember having a tune stuck in my head during an exam and remembering exactly what I had learnt the night before. That's the great thing about the human mind, its memories are directly linked to their senses. Some songs have left such a lasting impact on me that I decided to write an article about them. I'm not a music expert, but I do know that music is meant to be felt. [You can have a listen to the songs on my 8tracks playlist here.]

1. Clara
Composed by: Murray Gold
Performed by: The BBC National Orchestra
This song is so deeply magical and almost fairytale like. It has the ability to uplift, inspire and calm someone. The song is composed for Clara Oswald who is such a wonderful, mysterious character and this song grasps that concept so well. The song is so simple, yet complex, just like the souffles that Clara loves so dearly. I can only associate happy, nostalgic memories to this song. And whenever I hear it I always feel like I'm living a dream.

2. Hedwig's Theme
Composed by: John Williams
This has become the theme song for Harry Potter over the years and I can see why. It's able to perfectly show the Wizarding world and the magic of Hogwarts. It changes and is spontaneous, at some points beginning with one instrument and having others join in as well as the contrast of the deep tubas and whimsical violins makes the sound more magical. It makes me want fly a broomstick, drink butterbeer and just go on all the adventures that Harry went on. Through the entire Harry Potter soundtrack, I'm able to transport myself to the world created by the wonderful JK Rowling.

3. My Mind Rebels at Stagnation
Composed by : Hans Zimmer
I'm not too fond of the Guy Ritchie version of Sherlock Holmes as I see Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark rather than my beloved Sherlock Holmes, but I do love the soundtrack. I love the use of the violin on most of the songs and that the music really brings the scenes to life in some cases. This song in particular reflects the character that Downey portrays, his ups and his downs. It's a song that makes you feel both energetic and scared at the same time. The slightly modern-Victorian feel of the song makes it one of those songs that you don't mind getting stuck in your head. This tune definitely helped me, on multiple occasions, to remember something during an exam.

4. For the Realm
Composed by: Ramin Djawadi
This is a more toned down version of the main theme, only consisting of a guitar. It still captures the mood of the song, but is much more subtle and relaxing. It's something that helped to lull me to sleep after a long, stressful day of studying or allowed me to just clear my mind of all things. The song gives me the image of a lonely guitarist playing a random tune as he walks across a field strewn with the bodies of dead soldiers. Morbid, I know, but somehow realistic. It resonates a melancholy tone. There's something deeply moving about using a single instrument, especially a string one, in a song and letting it just tell the whole story.

5. Vale Decem
Composed by: Murray Gold
Performed by: The BBC National Orchestra
This song is one of the saddest songs on the Doctor Who soundtrack. Played when Ten was about regenerate into Eleven, it had the ability to make what was happening all the more real. It spoke wonders and still has the ability to bring a few tears to my eyes. Directly translated, it means "Farewell Ten," and it says it so beautifully too. It's beautifully composed and the vocals bring goosebumps to my skin. Truly one of Murray Gold's best compositions to date. The end where it just gets louder with everyone singing at once always makes me feel a sad kind of happy.

6. Irene's Theme
Composed by: Micheal Price and David Arnold
Performed by: The BBC National Orchestra
Everyone knows that I'm not a fan of Moffat's characterization of Irene Adler, but I am a big fan of her theme song. The sound of the one lonely violin is extremely beautiful and sad at the same time. Just imagine Sherlock playing this as he walks around the apartment thinking about his new cases. I have no idea why, but this song makes me want to cry every time I hear it, no matter where I am or how I'm feeling. I absolutely adore the sound of the violin and I would love to learn how to play it one day. My only regret about this song? It's too short.

7. The Companions Suite
Composed by: Murray Gold
Performed by: The BBC National Orchestra
I chose to add this song because it includes every companion from the New Who era. It starts off with Rose's slow and beautiful piano theme that can be heard playing during Rose's more sad or nostalgic moments, perfectly capturing the person that is Rose Tyler in her most vulnerable moments. Then is Martha's theme which is significantly different with chorus vocals and a sort of lost romance feel to it, yet still able to grasp the adventure and excitement of Martha's journey in the TARDIS. Donna's theme is next which is the perfect musical representation of the Doctor's fiery haired companion. It's faster, cheekier and just shouts Donna. The last theme is Amy's theme which reminisces on that little girl waiting for her Raggedy Man to come in his blue box and take her away. Amy's theme is that happy kind of sad, the fantastic fairy tale feel of everything and sums up the softer, more gentle side of Amelia Pond.

8. Mhysa
Composed by: Ramin Djawadi
To me this just epitomizes Daenerys Targaryen. The lyrics are from her speech given at the end of Season 3 and is sung to the tune of Dany's famous theme. The vocals and lyrics are already powerful, but added with the music, it's simply beautiful. Not matter where I am, whenever this song comes on it uplifts me and just makes me want to go out and conquer the world. It's that type of song that has the ability to reduce you to tears for the simple reason that it exists. From the moment I heard it, I knew I wouldn't forget it.

9. Swan Lake
Composed by: Tchaikovsky
Everyone knows Swan Lake and the theme that goes with it, but there is a reason as to why it's such a famous ballet. The music has this strange ability to transport you to another place. I can see the ballet playing out before my eyes, although I've never seen a full performance of Swan Lake. It's deeply tender and has extremely dark undertones that allow it to just enter your heart and hold on tight. When I first started writing this, I had no idea how hard it was to describe the emotions you feel when listening to music and I hate the cliched "no words can describe this feeling", but when it comes to Swan Lake I find it hard to find words to describe it. It feels like sitting under the moon and the stars, like fireflies dancing around in the forest. It's joy and sadness at the same time.

10. War
Composed by: David Arnold and Micheal Price
Otherwise known as John's theme, is the music that plays when John is remembering his past in the war. It starts off slow, with just the piano and a few notes, but then it begins to grow and you can hear of Sherlock's famous theme. And that's what I love the most about it, because it shows the relationship of John and Sherlock so well. It shows just how Sherlock came into John's life and gave him that thrill again, and at the same time shows Sherlock's character as someone who demands to be there as the centre of attention. Not on purpose, just by habit. And the fact that the two themes go together so perfectly is because John and Sherlock compliment each other so well. I mean, I've written an entire post about their relationship.

11. All the Strange, Strange Creatures
Composed by: Murray Gold
Performed by: The BBC National Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Choir
This song just brings out everything about the monsters in Doctor Who. It's starts of slow and mysterious then booms out. But it still retains that sense of adventure and curiosity that comes with watching Doctor Who. This was one of the very first songs of the series that I heard and, looking back, I'm glad it was because it's just a wonderful arrangement that really does grasp what the monsters in Doctor Who are about. And I think it's wonderful.

12. In The Mood
Composed by: Glenn Miller
This is just that feel good song. All you want to do when you hear it is get up and dance like you don't have a care in the world. Whenever I hear it, I want to dress up in a knee-length dress, grab myself a good looking boy and make my way to an old jazz club to just dance the whole night away. Politics in the 40s and 50s weren't so great and I know I would never want to live then, but I don't mind listening to the music and stealing the dress patterns.

13. The Charleston
Performed by: Enoch Light and The Charleston City All Stars
This iconic song from the twenties is what started the Jazz Age. It's fun and whimsical and makes you just want to jump up on a table and start tap dancing. I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm bit of a history fanatic and music like this allows me to just transport myself to another decade, to another country. If you're ever feeling down, this song is sure to liven up your day, you can't cry when the Charleston is playing. I'm a sucker for the original and can never understand why anyone would want to remix it *cough*will.i.am*cough*.

14. Up is Down
Composed by: Hans Zimmer
This is just a song that makes you think: Pirates! I love it, it's fast and reminds me a bit of an old Irish jig. I always want to get up and dance when I hear this song. If I was a pirate, this song would be playing on a loop when I'm out exploring the seven seas. I love everything Hans Zimmer has written for Pirates of the Caribbean, but this song has seen me slay the metaphorical kraken that is my exam papers. I can't tell you how many times I caught myself tapping my feet to this song while writing my exams.

15. The Can-Can
Composed by: Jacques Offenbach
If you don't know the can-can then I fear for you. The can-can is one of the most famous dances of history and the famous song that goes with is just as fantastic. This song, for some weird reason, reminds me of dances with friends (not that I ever listened to it with my friends), but it's just one of those songs that you can't help but allow it to just engulf you and do all the dancing for you. Sometimes you just got to let loose and allow the music to take control.

16. String Quartet No. 13 in A minor "Rosamunde"
Composed by: Franz Schubert
This song was featured in The Avengers and was the first time I heard it. I was during the Stuttgart scene before Loki could give his "Kneel" speech. I read somewhere that the song was just like Loki, with all the ups and downs. And couldn't agree more. The song starts off slow and builds up, only to fall back down again, just like Loki who sort of goes from one extreme to the other. But I feel like the song is very gentle and, even in the louder parts, is poised as opposed to Loki who only seems like that on the surface.

17. Concerto 'L'inverno, RV 297 (Winter)
Composed by: Vivladi
This is also a song I relate to Loki, more so than Franz Schubert's. I think that Loki would be Vivaldi fan and this little piece from The Four Seasons sums up that inner conflict that Loki has. It's harsh, fast, and doesn't stop. yet it's still beautiful which is the way I see Loki. He's this hurt child driven by greed, power and revenge and he doesn't know that he's damaged inside or he doesn't want to acknowledge it, so he puts up this facade that he is well-poised and collected. Other than the fact that this reminds me of Loki, it's also a wonderful piece of music to listen to and has helped me get through the stressful exam months. I remember countless times where this would come on and I would just feel more ready to study.

18. Lokasenna
Composed by: Brian Tyler
I'd though I'd make my series of Loki related songs a trilogy. Jokes aside, this song from the recent Thor movie reflects beautifully how I imagine Asgard feels. The haunting sound of the woman's voice is somehow soothing and feels like cold, fresh rainwater running over your warm body. I know it sounds odd, but that feeling is refreshing and cleansing. Don't ask me why I feel like that when I hear that song, but I do. For me it just feels like picnic on Asgard, swimming in the river and falling asleep under the stars. It's also one of the many songs on this list that can move me to tears for no reason other than the fact that it exists.

19. The Heart Asks Pleasure First/ The Promise
Composed and performed by: Micheal Nyman
This song is so beautiful and so moving. When I first heard it, I sort of just stopped and had to listen to it, really listen to it. Take in every key played by the piano, every high and low. I still don't know what it is about this song that moves me so much, but sometimes you just don't know why something makes you feel a certain way.

20. Bistro Fada
Composed by: Stephane Wrembel
This song was written for the Midnight in Paris soundtrack and just has that wonderful ability to take me back to a place that I've never actually been to. It's like I can smell the croissants, and feel the Paris sun, and just see the people going about their own little business in their tiny cafe's and bistro's and there's this man on the street just strumming this tune on his guitar. I don't know how it's possible, but this song makes me nostalgic for a place I've never visited before.

21. This is Gallifrey
Composed by: Murray Gold
This song is so breathtakingly wonderful, it's fill of this tender hope and greatness that sums up Gallifrey so perfectly. I can see the Gallifrey that the Doctor describes: the orange sky, the red grass and the silver leaves on the tress that catch the light of the second sun. And not only that, but it also captures the Doctor's hope that he may one day return home, to a Gallifrey that is safe from war.

And that's basically it. I don't know how to end this because I feel like I've just poured my heart out to you using twenty-one of my favourite songs. I would love to hear about your favourite songs in the comments below or you could just tell me what you thought about my playlist.